Friday, June 17, 2016

An Introduction to AVA

What is AVA?
The initials stand for "Addicted to Voice Acting." It comes from voice actor and writer James Burton, who can straight-up go into mild withdrawal symptoms if he doesn't act for too long. He's also the one writing this, so perhaps he should drop the pretense and stop referring to myself in the third-person. Better?

A voice over career is an arduous, confusing, ongoing ordeal. I'm someone who's a few steps ahead of the starting line, but still very much a random, unknown dude figuring this stuff out as I go. I created AVA to share what I've observed along the way, in addition to reaching out to others to hear new perspectives and learn more about this strange, intriguing art form.

Who is James Burton?
As aforementioned, a voice actor, upcoming novelist, and evidently a blogger. I spent the first eight years of my life in Georgia before moving with my family to the Illiana area, homeschooled all the way. I developed an incredibly nerdy imagination and a fascination with the fantastical, which began to manifest itself more and more as a desire to give voice to characters and stories for a living. My main voice over gigs these days are audiobooks, online projects, and the odd video game here and there.

Who is AVA meant for?
Naturally, everyone is welcome, but AVA is geared specifically for those just starting in the voice over industry, or who are curious about getting into it. I share what I've learned in my journey so far, and I welcome the observations of others in the industry, so it's a great place to learn, grow, and meet new people.

What can we expect from AVA?
The current format is to have one article a week, focusing on tips, personal experiences, or observations on the voice over industry, but you can also expect polls, surveys, and even interviews with others involved in the industry. Interviewees include other voice actors, sound engineers, game developers, etc..

Let's learn and grow together in this fascinating profession. All it takes is one subscription by email (which you can sign up for near the top-right of the page) to stay up-to-date. If you have any thoughts, experiences, or blogs/websites of your own to share, lay 'em on me, and let's get connected. See you next week, yeah?

No comments:

Post a Comment